Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > JK Door skins

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Hey guys, I have a three day trip on the K-Trail that I am doing with Central Overland the first of March and I understand that parts of the route are very brushy.  I am thinking about makeing some more door skins for my jeep from magnetic sheet like they make magnetic signs for cars from.  About the best deal I have been able to find online is a 24" x 25 foot roll of uncoated magnetic sheet for about $105 shipped.  This would be enough to do the doors on two 4dr JK's.  I called several local sign shops today and can't seem to get anywhere close to that price plus their stock is flat white in color so I would have to paint it.  Does anyone have a contact at a sign shop that might give us a good deal?  It needs to be at least 24" wide and it takes just under twelve feet to do four doors.  It also needs to be .030 mil thick to stay on at highway speeds.  Here is the link to the online place http://designer.realtimedesigner.com/magnetking/catalog/index.php&p=cGM9OTMwNw==

Here is what my first set looked like

February 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CUOFFRD
Just take the doors off and save the money! LOL Sorry, I'm no help.
February 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Yeah, in the summer that works, not so much in the winter. :(

February 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Randy, I just bought a roll from some sign company.  24" x 10".  I'll check on the price.

--

February 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

We Be Rockin' at February 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Randy, I just bought a roll from some sign company.  24" x 10".  I'll check on the price.

Yeah, I called about four different sign companies on Friday and got prices from $120 -$240 for twelve feet!  I can get twice that much online for $105 but I only need 12 feet.  Online the roll lengths are either 10 foot or 25 foot so I have to buy 25 to get 12.

February 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

Pretty cool idea, someone on the JKforum actually painted his doors black on his silver JKU (looked kinda horrid). This looks good on your JKU, functional and easily removed. Amazon has some, but seems like you have a better deal there. Would a thinner material be as protective? Would be pretty easy to take off, roll up and stow under the seat til needed vs going down the highway with it on. Could be another way to shave some costs if thats part of the issue.

February 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

e-bay has 30 mil 24"x10' rolls for $30 ...2 of those would nuke the cost almost by 50%

February 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

11JKU at February 4, 2013 at 12:08 AM

e-bay has 30 mil 24"x10' rolls for $30 ...2 of those would nuke the cost almost by 50%

Best I found on EBAY for 10' roll of white was $32/roll x 2 = $64 + $28 shipping = $92. Then I have to paint them :(

February 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I placed an order for a 25 foot roll of the uncoated 30 mil material.  I will only need a half a roll to do my doors.  If anyone is interested in the other half I'll sell it for $50.

February 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM