Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Ministry Events > Trail worthy fab - questions

11JKU
Limited Member

I got a deal on a set of TWF wheels and tires, only "problem" the tires aren't installed on the wheels. I know a few folks are running them (saw a couple rigs with them last Sat at Byrds) Any tips on installing them? Did you use air soft BB's to balance them? if so, how many will I need? Thanks!

February 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Discombobulated
Call me and let's talk. Scott 899-8169
--
A lift, wheels, tires and stuff
February 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

OK, i'll call you tomorrow, heading to bed- or you can call me at your conveniance tomorrow evening. The tires are 33" Interco TRXS MT's, not 37's. I would have to regear and basically rebuild my diffs among everything else to go bigger.

Jeremy 479 295-0709

February 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

Ok fill me in on how the air soft BBs balance a tire? short version will work. I have never heard of this.:)

February 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

Short version : centrifugal force evenly distributes the media (be it BB's or Equate etc) to make it rotate true. No clunky lead pcs on the outside of your wheel to get rubbed off on a rock.

February 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

I found a weight chart based on tire/wheel size if anyone is interested. I've been reading a lot about them - the general concensus on the interwebs is to stay away from the hollow core ones, only use match grade solid ones. It seems some folks put anti-freeze in there...seems like a huge mess to me? I mentioned Equate, I haven't' priced it out but it is more $.

Also note, do not use internal balance media in run flats, or tires with anyting else in them..they media will clump and cause horrid problems.

February 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

I've been running Dynabeads in 40's and 37's the last couple of years and have been very pleased with them.  One key is not to scrimp on the quantity.  If it says 12 oz., don't use 8.   

I am about to convert the tires on my Hauling truck to dyna-beads as I've got a vibration that they can't seem to balance out, so we'll see how that goes.  A lot of Semi's use them in their retreads.

using any liquid inside your street tires would be really questionable.  We use it in farm tractor tires for traction, but we're going 5 miles an hour.  If you popped a tire full of antifreeze in a state or federally protected area they'd probably go beserk on you and declare a Superfund Toxic Waste site:(

Good luck with your balancing act!

February 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward
Do you run the BB's in a daily driver with 33's or 35's? Or is it just for a trail rig.
February 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward
Do you run the BB's in a daily driver with 33's or 35's? Or is it just for a trail rig.
February 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Daily (or as often as it's not broken) driver.  

--

February 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

Equal, not Equate :) as previously mentioned (as a tire balance media) A lot of folks use (BBs) it on thier DD and swear by it, claiming better tread wear and balancing (esp in an offroad tire - chunk it offroading, it'll automatically balance itself vs a trip to the tire shop) I'll give it a whirl if I can ever get these picked up. Guy wants to meet me on a weekend, and i work weekends :(.

February 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

Well, I'm not going to be getting this set of wheels/tires. My pizza cutters are going to need replaced sooner rather than later. The guy selling them is in Afghanistan right now and its been hard to get a date set up for me to get them from his wife (LR area). Its a great deal, if anyone is looking for a set of TWF HMMV wheels recentered to 5x5 (16.5 double bead locks) without rock rings I am sure I can hook you up with him. I was going to get 5 wheels and 5 33" interco TRXS MT's for 800 (~50% tread I'd guess? he estimated they have about 17k miles on them)

March 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM