Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Wiring GURU help needed

jeeps4fun
So I have a new buggy that I picked up back in November and it's in pretty good shape... Except for the wiring. It has a lot of accessories added as well as gauges. Some of the accessories have been removed and some of the gauges aren't working. Behind the dash is a kit scary to me! The vitals work right now, but if something fails, tracing a fix woul be very difficult. I'm looking for someone in the area (im in Bentonville by NWACC) that would be willing to spend a few nights/days/weekends to help me get it all cleaned up and organized and working correctly! Give me a call or text if you might be able to help. Wiring party? A group of folks can come to the house and I'll buy pizza, would be a good chance to meet some more people. Wanna bring the family? Let me know and we'll clean the house up. Lol. Have a 4 yr old girl and 10 mo old boy if ya have kids Thanks Justin
--

February 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jeeps4fun
Wow, that was kind of a rambling post! I forgot to leave my number too 21four-38five-770eight
--

February 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Hey Justin, I know nothing about wiring but if there is anyway I can help while learning more about it I would be interested.

February 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I just wired my buggy over the last 3-4 months.  I don't mind helping from time to time.  I'll drop you a text.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

February 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jeeps4fun
Thanks for coming by and helping me get a good starting point Phillip. Randy, I could definitely use a spare set of hands and eyes if you have some spare time.
--

February 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Nice meeting you Justin.  I can help more post-Moab trip.  Really you're a long ways to having a good setup. 

A couple of follow-up thoughts:

- If you don't have a welder just holler and I'll get your tab back on.  That's a 5 min weld job.

- If you don't want to buy a meter just to see if a wire is hot, you can make a cheater light.  If you have a 12v light bulb with a socket and pigtails wiring out you can use that to determine if a wire is hot by grounding one end to the chassis and touching the other wire to the one you're testing.  If it lights up, it's hot.  You might need to solder on a nail or something if you want to have a probe rather than just a dangly wire.  That won't tell you how much voltage... but pretty much as long as it's not a sensor wiring sending signals to a gauge it's going to be 12 volt, ground or nothing.  You can also use that setup to see if a wire is grounded by using the free end on a known hot source and touching the wire to the one you're testing.  The only warning there is that some gauges are sensitive and sending 12v their way may not be a good thing. 

Anyway... those were just a few thoughts that might help you along the way.  One thing I have that I use to save myself a bit of pain is about a 5' length of low gage wire that has alligator clips at the ends.  You can quickly mock up a circuit and test things out before you commit to the cut/crimp/solder/shrink-wrap direction.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

February 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jeeps4fun
Thanks again for the awesome assistance (read: doing most of the work) today from Phillip. Buggy is starting to get a lot cleaner under the dash thanks to his help.
--

April 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Glad to help.  I was stoked that we were able to get it looking better and when it goes up in flames it won't be my rig!

Actually, I think it's coming along nicely.  I don't think you have any more floating live wires...

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Apr 17 at 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM