Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Club News > Colorado Trip

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Phillip and I have been talking about planning an overlanding type trip to Colorado next summer (2014).  Just thought I would start this thread to see if there is any interest.  I ran across a link to this blog on UCORA today.  Great pictures and a lot of GPS files for different trails.  http://www.myxj.net/blog/

March 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Oooh!  Oooh!  Definitely count me in!  Amanda said she would be interested too.

Casey

March 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CUOFFRD
I'm interested!
March 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I'm up to whatever, but here are my early thoughts.

Stage up in Denver.  I have a lot of support system in Denver.  Go out to Bailey and hit Red Cone trail.  Assuming it hasn't been closed, you could drive north through the Rockies to Georgetown if you know the way...then possibly run Holy Cross trail for a day.  It's a bit more challenging than maybe we should try.  However, we should get to Leadville... from there we can run Wheeler lake then maybe see if we can find a way from Tin cup, CO down to St Elmos or possibly Mosquito pass (I've never done this trail!) through to South Park.  Finish up with either something in Buena vista (Tin Cup, Iron Chest, Baldwin lake, Mt. Antero) or Twin Cone on the East side of South Park.  

I've been on most of these trails and would love to go back any time.  We can take harder or easier trails.  I've seen most of these trails done on 33" tires without lockers... so depending on the rigs I think they should all be within reach.

I am thinking to take "Bob" (my YJ). 

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

March 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

I am Interested. I have done Mt. Blanco and the great sand dunes national monument trails. It was a great trip. they are both right out of Alamosa Co. in the southern part of the state. Also both are in the Rio Grande National Forest.

--
March 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

Let me clarify something. I just watched this Utube video on the Blanca Rd. trail and it didn’t look like that when we did it. It looks like there has been lots of traffic and erosion. It has been 20+ years since we were there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKRS9N80bw

We made it to the como lake and was not able to continue because everything was frozen over. That was in May of 1991.

--
March 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

summer of 2013 or 14

--

servants of the most high ...not rockstars

March 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

muddyredneck at March 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

summer of 2013 or 14

Summer of 2014.  Changed original post.

March 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Green Hornet
I'm interested. Was on the trails there this past summer and it is a lot of fun. Was planning to summit Blanca, but plans changed...never got to drive the trail in the videos I watched.
--

Green Hornet

March 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muddyredneck
Limited Member

i would love to go might ride shotgun with some one

--

servants of the most high ...not rockstars

March 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng

I would love to be able to go. Just need to be sure and set a date before October 2013 so that UPS can let me off for the trip !! Then we would be set !!

March 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I have at least one buddy from Denver going.   That is a key as they will be far closer to the trail conditions just before we go. 

When reviewing the plan with my buddy here is a trail list (in order):

- Day 0: Stage up in Denver.  I plan to trailer to Denver.  "Bob" isn't fun for that long on the highway.  I can get parking if you need it... and probably find a floor or 4 that folks can crash on.

- Day 1: Leave Denver and head through Bailey and run Red Cone (but turn right after the summit) and head out toward Georgetown.  Find a place to camp somewhere.  There are lots of options, but we'll have to worry about fire restrictions.

- Day 2 head down the switchbacks into Georgetown, top off gas and head West.  Get to the Holy cross trail head and set up camp.  Run Holy Cross trail that day.  Even if we decide not to try the French Creek crossing, we should hike up to Holy Cross Town.  It is a one way, turn around and come out trail... but it's a Colorado classic that is no fun on weekends.  The ghost town at the top is remarkable.

- Day 3: Break camp early, pack up and head to Breckenridge and south to the entrance to Mosquito pass.  Run Mosquito pass.  Apparently it exits near Leadville.  There should be some camping near leadville, I just haven't located it yet.  If the day seems light, we can go ahead and head to Buena Vista to camp. If time allows we could try to slip in one of the high altitude lake runs... there is one near Leadville.

- Day 4: Break camp, hit Tin Cup Pass outside Buena Vista into St Elmo, possibly camp at the Cascade's campground or maybe primitive camp up near Baldwin Lake.

- Day 5: A couple of options both are spectacular  :)

* Iron chest trail

* Mount Antero

For the afternoon, we pack up and head to Twin cone and camp at the base.

Day 6: Pack up, run Twin Cone trail to the summit and enjoy the Southpark vista.  After descent, head back to Denver.  If time permits, we can run Slaughterhouse, or possibly head to the South end of South Park and pick up a trail that ends in Colorado Springs. Maybe something like Mount Herman Road (I've never run it!)

Day 7: Home bound!

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I was thinking more along the lines of easy drives, like Engineer Pass, etc.

I would be driving my Tahoe.  Don't want to take it up Holy Cross Trail!!  I'm not into the pucker factor of loose, steep hill climbs either.

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

May 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Hmm... Slaughterhouse, Twin Cone, and some others got the bulldozer treatment this year from what I understand (e.g. very smooth... ).  Those are both out 285... I think Tin Cup, Mosquito, Baldwin Lake are all do-able.  Wheeler might be a bit of a stretch.. There are some forestry service roads that leave _near_ Holy cross that are also quite nice and I believe they go through to Leadville.  I'll look into that to see what I can find. 

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

May 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Thanks!  I appreciate you working on this!

Casey

May 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

My buddy reminded me that the red cone exit is Montezuma, CO... near breck... even better. 

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

May 14, 2013 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Sounds like a blast! I don't have the right kind of rig for this tho....unless........ :/  Lol don't think the Impreza would make it!

I would gladly be a passenger tho. 

--

73 CJ5 based Juggy, AMC360/TF999/D300/D44 Axles, A work in Progress!

June 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

is your CJ5 going to be street legal and do you have a way to get it to Denver?

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

June 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

I am slowly working towards making it more streetable. I have a truck and trailer but realistically I couldn't make this trip. For some reason the wife thinks home improvements are more important than jeep related things, she really needs to get her priorities straight! :P I will be quite now.

--

73 CJ5 based Juggy, AMC360/TF999/D300/D44 Axles, A work in Progress!

June 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day