Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Moab Expedition 2013 - Planning > EJS 2014??

CUOFFRD
I know we just got back from EJS 2013 but since it can be such a costly trip, I thought I'd start this for planning. Looks like Easter is much later in 2014 being April 20th. I highly recommend Hampton Inn for lodging. You'll see room rates jump up during these type of events but I actually felt ok about paying $125 a night for us. They had a good hot breakfast that easily saved us $30 a morning. And while I'm on food, the resturants in town are by no means inexpensive. We ended up doing the typical McDonalds, Burger King, and pizza as you'd expect with three young kids. The organized trail runs cost $50 each and will consume a full day. Gas is another major expense to consider. We took I-70 across Kansas through Colorado and the speed limit is 75 which can cut down on time but really uses the fuel. Especially through the mountains were you'll reach over 11,000 feet and have snow and ICE on the road.
April 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

We Be Rockin'

Guys, we have over a year to put our next trip together, let's start putting about $200.00 a month in our piggy banks, working on getting tow rigs and trailers lined up, lodging reviewed and reserved.   It may seem like a long time, but I can assure you it will be here before you know it.

what rig do you need to run the trails in Moab?  Just about any capable 4 wheel drive will do.  the red rock 4 wheelers website will give you the details on what your rig needs to run the specific trails based on difficulty.

It is a Jeeper's, photographer's, mountain bikers, kayakers, hiker's, whitewater rafter's, enduro rider's, spelunkers, paradise.

April 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

For me, the main expense was gas to/from.  

My family cooked most of our meals and we stayed in a camp ground (which Moab has an ample supply at decent rates). 

One alternative I exercised this time was to drag one vehicle on a trailer and rent one while there.  That worked well for doing a few easier trails with more folks. I suspect that is much more cost effective for some folks.  They were fairly strict about what trails were forbidden though... that part was a bummer.  HOWEVER, if you were looking to reduce travel expense, renting may be cheaper than pulling a trailer depending on how much junk/many people you're taking.

There are ALWAYS more seats than people.  If you wanted to go on the cheap, I suggest you find someone to camp with who is already cooking, claim a spare seat for hard trails, and rent a jeep for easy trails.  

Now you're down to splitting gas, tenting on the cheap, and grocery store camp food in terms of cost.  I don't think that would require $200/mo ... :-)

I'd also suggest that if we want to reduce cost that we don't go during EJS.  The week after (or 2 weeks after) prices on everything drop in Moab... including camping sites.  It would also be warmer. :D

$0.02

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

April 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lunatic

Phillip is right about the timing and we have enough people who have run the trails now to get by without a guide if we had to.  However, the EJS experience is just so much fun with all the activity in town...unless you have been as many times as Phillip!!!  Maybe someday I will agree with him on the timing, but right now I still like EJS.  In fact, I just finished going through all my brochures and literature from the event.  I wish I could go back tomorrow!!!

--

April 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

I am planning to attend this event. There are many factors involved to determine if I actually make it. :)

--
April 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CUOFFRD
I agree. I don't think many of us can commit at this point in time. I know I need to start saving now.
April 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day