Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > Fuel Cell

vbtj
Limited Member

What is everyones opinion on a fuel cell built out of steel instead of aluminum.   I don't have any money left to buy a cell. but do have some 1/8" plate that I could make one out of.  I would make a 10 gallon one and reuse the stock sending unit.   I guess only thing would be rust but I don't know how much of a problem that would be.  Opinions or experience appreciated.  Thanks

--

Rock Solid Fabworks    479-414-1246

Specializing in one-off fabrication with in house CNC plasma cutting.

June 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CW4x4Him
Limited Member

Remember that '48 Chevy coupe I had?  I'm pretty sure it had a home made steel cell in it.  I never put a magnet to it, but it looked like there was surface rust on the outside which makes me think it was steel.

You might check out www.racingjunk.com I bet you could find a used aluminum or plastic cell there for not a lot of cash.... maybe.

--

"Its life or death now. Make your choice.  Who's side are you on?"

June 20, 2009 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

I have 2 fuel cells that are made from steel.  Have ran them for proabaly 8 years with no issue........

--

David Austin

http://www.c4x4.com/

http://freegift.net/

June 20, 2009 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Dave how thick our your cells?

--

June 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

daveoffroad
Limited Member

It was pretty thin.  I am thinking 3/16th.  It was bent on a break.....and then welded.

--

David Austin

http://www.c4x4.com/

http://freegift.net/

June 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hondabogger
Limited Member

There should't be a problem as long as you keep lots of paint on it.  You might find that some cheap "bed-liner" in a spray can (like spray-paint but it being bed-liner) would really keep it from rusting.  I think it's made by Dupli-color.  Good stuff.

--

75 GMC High Sierra, 350, 4 speed manual tranny.

06 Honda Rancher 350cc

June 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

stano
Limited Member

I tried to build one one time for my big rig and never got it to seal up.  there was a bad place in the steel that just bubbled everytime it was welded,  but I sold the rig...so I guess I don't see why it wouldn't work.

--

1990 YJ......... almost stock

June 20, 2009 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hondabogger
Limited Member

Yes, I agree with you stano. If there was a bad spot just take a square piece of steel... i guess like 3x3 and weld over the whole bad spot. That would give more area to weld to.

--

75 GMC High Sierra, 350, 4 speed manual tranny.

06 Honda Rancher 350cc

June 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

86 zuk
Limited Member

If i was you I would just give it a try if work cool . if not then can say you tryed it out .but if it was me i would us  clean new steel  and a tig if you dont have a tig.  us a mig with gas on it that flux core wire will make it harder to weld just my 2 cents. good luck

--

86 zuk exo cage 35's toyota axles chevey 2.8 v6

June 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

Yeah I am using solid wire with gas again and when I do it I will probably see if JD can  break some of it to cut down on welded seams.   I'll give it a try one of these days.  Still gotta finish the tons first.

--

June 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vbtj
Limited Member

I found a formula online for figuring out the gallons in a square/rectangle tank.  The formula was LxHxW divided by 231.   This uses inches for the L,H, & W.  231 is supposed to be how many cubic inches equals a gallon.  So can anyone verify this as an accurate formula.   Thanks

--

June 21, 2009 at 5:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10