Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Modifications > 73' CJ5 Juggy

ridinwitcj73

I bought this jeep about 4 years ago. It was a capable rig when I bought it and I have made repairs and improvements along the way. Including, rebuilding and installing a AMC 360, correcting the caster problems the scout axle is known for, and just odds an ends rock lights, shocks, redoing some wiring, changin up the front leaf pack etc. 

More recently I have moved the transmission cooler to under the jeep and switched to a heat sink type cooler. I am also in the process of installing new rear wheel bearings and seals. And my new corbeau seats should be in Monday. After I get those things buttoned up it will be time for wheeling until next winter. 

Now with some pics or it didn't happen. :D

Out with the old and in withi the new. 

New bilstiens 5125 on the front end. Picked these up cheap on fle bay. They were brand new in the box. 

I had to shim them a bit to get them straight up an down, upper shock mounts are off a tad. I used barnes4wd shock tabs for the lower mounts. 

Here is a pic of the whole rig. 

I will update as things happen! Hoping to find someone local tomorrow to press on my rear bearings. If I can get that done and then get the seats mounted I will be ready for the trails....I think :lol:

May 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Not a real productive weekend but I had to work Saturday. So before I had to work Saturday I drove into Harrison and JT, of JT's Automotive and Offroad, pressed on my new rear axle bearings. I hadn't seen JT in a long time and we had a good visit, really a nice guy. So I got home and got the old races out.

Like my fancy slide hammer I made out of a crow bar and pipe thing and c clamp. 8)  Then i had to go to 4-H Fundraiser (Work).

Sunday the wife had to work so I did my chores around the house and then buttoned up the rear axle and new  tranny cooler lines and decided to take one of the beadlock rims apart for the experience and I need to paint my rusty rims anyway.

Before- After -Some one had used some bedline/undercoating stuff on the rims before so i cleaned them up best I could. I am not real confident in how i got the bead arranged on the whel.....i read directions on MRT's website after I was done.....:roll:but I may take it apart and redo it. Probably doesnt help that this is the same wheel that i took to get a hole patched in the tire and they torqued the bolts down about 3 times more than they were suppose to.

I just checked the tracking on my new seats. they have been delivered! So i will work on gettin those mounted up tonight.

June 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Package was waiting for me when I got home yesterday evening. :D I am really happy with the seats. They are light and comfy. Corbeau Baja SS 

I worked on some mounts for the seats but ran short on time. Tonight we traveled over to Elkins to help the wife's sister with something's but I plan on working on getting the seats in the jeep atleast  half  the day tomorrow.

June 5, 2013 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

Lookin' sweet.  Any chance you're trail ready for pre-father's day?  Cass too far from Harrison?

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

June 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Flexer at June 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Lookin' sweet.  Any chance you're trail ready for pre-father's day?  Cass too far from Harrison?

Thanks! I should be trail ready but I am not sure if i will be able to wheel that weekend or not. Cass is not to far I enjoy a good Cass run evey now and then. I usually make Rocktober in Cass if i am not going to Disney. SMORR is where I tend to frequent the most.  I am for sure planning on wheeling the Club run on the 22nd. Hope to see you and the Blue Buggy then if not before.

June 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Well it took the good part of the day but I got the seats in the jeep. 

They sit about 1 inch taller then the other seats I had. I can see over the hood now! They look nice, are comfy and I think they are well made. Makes the jeep look less ghetto too. I would like to have the mounts tied into the cage but that won't happen for awhile since I have no bender or wire welder.I still have to change the oil and tranny fluid an then it will be ready for the wheeling season. 

The wife an I took the jeep for a drive and checked the cows. It runs alittle ruff still until it warms up. I would love to have fuel injection but that will be a next winter project. 

June 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Well I sold my winch line so I ordered a new main bar for my hi lift jack. My brother tried to lift a very large Feed Mixer with it and well....I will just have to get pics to show the carnage. I also ordered a new spout for my grandpas old Jerry Can. I will want to reseal it also. I think I will get some of that Por stuff.  I will probably drain the engine oil tonight and tomorrow I need to get a plug for where the old oil preasure sensor goes. The sensor is leaking and i don't use it anymore. Then Saturday I will do my tranny fluid change and I will attempt to do a good  enuff for offroad front end aligment.

Here is a pic of my parts gitter.

A good Ole Ex500! 55mpg and realiable...not very pretty but nothing I have is....excpet for the wife of course. lol :D

June 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

June 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Well I missed out on some wheeling this weekend but I got a few important things done to the jeep. I attempted to fix a slight oil leak stemming from where the old oil preassure sensor was. It still leaked after a new plug so i think the hole must be partially stripped. I am going to look on my parts motor and see if i have that part so I can change it out. Its not a big leak just a small drip after I shut off the engine.

But anyways I topped it off with a new oil filter and oil. If you ever run a older engine with a flat tappet cam and lifters I highly recommend using this oil- it has a zinc additive that most oils do not have.

I move pretty slow and observe alot as I do things as I don't catch the obvious sometimes. I was looking at my Tcase and trying to figure out how to flatten my jeeps belly. I think its do able, but something I will tackle at a later date. It looks like my tcase is pretty well clocked flat. But I am concerned that the whole drivetrain sits pretty low in general.

Moving on I drained the trans fluid. It was the usual nasty and there was plenty of clutch material on the bottom of the pan. One thing I liked was the maganet in the bottom of the pan. I also notice my trans mount and tourque arm was loose...always something loose! I spent a good amount of time cleaning the pan up. all clean.

I replaced the filter and trans pan gasket...I had luckily guessed the approximate year of jeep the transmission came out of so I didn't have to make another trip to town.

Old fluid vs new fluid....it actually looked better then what came out of my superduty.

I finished off my winchline money by buying two used 12 inch bilstien 5125 series shocks for the rear an I pickuped up a dual 12"  flexalite fan with shoroud setup on the cheap! I really got my moneys worth out of  that one winch line! I ran the jeep for probably 45 mins on our property after i got it all back together. I had no new leaks except for the slight engine oil leak.

I think with the new shocks on the rear coupled with the bilstiens I now have on the front it will ride much better! I can tell a difference with just the front. The engine temp got up to 210. I think when i get the new to me fans in it should be up for whatever the summer heat can throw at it.

--

73 CJ5 based Juggy, AMC360/TF999/D300/D44 Axles, A work in Progress!

June 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Out  with the old. In with the new: I like the new color scheme better anyways. :lol:

--

June 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Mounted up hi lift jack. A

Also got in new to me shocks. Sorry for the bad lighting. Boy what a difference good shocks make! Also got new to me fans but not installed. 

--

June 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I see lots of progress... sweet.  

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

June 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Fixed the small oil leak on the engine today. This was the culprit.

The new bolt in the end was an attempt to plug the leak but to no avail. So I took the one off the parts motor. It didn't have that hole. Just the hole for the pressure line to the oil pressure gauge.  Going wheeling tomorrow! Looking forward to it. 

--

June 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Had a great time wheeling yesterday. It is running alittle to warm with just the mechanical fan so i will be mounting the electric fans. It was running so warm that the carb was not taking fuel well. I got a lead on EFI for the motor...wheeling an dealing! 

Life lesson....what happens when your towing your jeep on a trailer at 65 miles an hour and you forget to latch the hood?? THIS.....................

I will be playing body repair man next! Check out my photos for pics and video from the adventure.

--

June 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Got the hood pretty well straightened out. It no show rig but good enough for me.  I also got the upper mounts for electric fans figured out. The bottom mounts will be trickier. 

--

June 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

First step towards EFI! 

--

June 29, 2013 at 1:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

I got the electric fans wired in. I went to autozone and bought a relay and adjustable thermostat kit and few other things I needed to get them in right....electrical stuff is expense! 

I got them in today and drove it up on this ridge to test em out. They work pretty good. 

Now it's off to SMORR. 

--

July 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Had a great time at SMORR. They have some awesome new trails since i had been there last. The jeep rain pretty cool but after i finally made it up Distrurbed I notice the Jeep was HOT. We went to the Campsite for lunch and it had not cooled off on the way back. After lunch I was checking things out and somehow the drivers side fan got bent and broke two blades. So that wrapped up that trip.

I got home and decided to pull the rad which i did last night and I am going to take it to the local rad shop to get checked out. It was pretty nasty inside.  I am thinking I will go back to the mechcanical fan after I get the rad back and see how it does. I think the stock fan is plenty good enough I just may need a stock shroud to go along with. Time will tell.

I laso noticed I need some bumpstocks my high steer link is contacting the frame and pitman arm.

Different angle 

Other Side

seeya

--

July 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Well I had the radiator tested and its good. Its also a three row core.  So at this point I have to choose between fixxing the electric fans that got bent or going with the stock mechanical fan and rouding up a stock shroud. This last option is what all the CJ peeps tell me to do. Either route is about the same money.

The jeep as been taking a back seat to the VW the last few days. I changed timing belt, TB tensior, accessory belts, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, plugs, ATF and filter. SO it should be good for another 70k miles. I got 30.8 MPG on the way to work this morning. ;)

--

July 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ridinwitcj73

Hauled off a couple loads of scrap metal this weekend and got enough extra cash to buy a new stock CJ radiator fan shroud. Ordered the new shroud today. 8)

I took a closer look at my front steering to frame contact issues I am having . I really do not want to limit up travel if I can help it. I think I can remove this steering arm spacer and lower the drag link 3/4 inch. It should still clear the leaf springs.

But I just dread taking out those evil Cone washers to test out my therory!

Also shortening this tower for the steering link would help it not make contact to the frame on the passenger side.

--

July 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

April Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5
Thursday May 8 - Saturday May 10