Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > 4x4 Events > Back Country Adventure Oct 25-27

STEVEN B
Is anyone going to be using a CB? If so I will try and get mine working by then.
October 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

STEVEN B at October 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Is anyone going to be using a CB? If so I will try and get mine working by then.

Definately.  You can get by without it but it sure helps on the trail, especially if we have more than 4-5 rigs and at times we can get spread out on some of the longer stretches to try to keep the dust down and it's nice to be able to stay in contact with the lead vehicle.

--

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard! And may you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t get you.   - Anonymous

October 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

arveetek at October 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Getting excited for our trip!

Looking at the trail map, if we don't reach Ozone until Saturday evening, will we not hit the swinging bridge or Oark Cafe until Sunday?  I was hoping to show my daughter these sights, but we'll have to head home Saturday evening.

Casey

Randy,

I don't know if you saw the above post or not.....

Thanks!

October 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

arveetek at October 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM

arveetek at October 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Getting excited for our trip!

Looking at the trail map, if we don't reach Ozone until Saturday evening, will we not hit the swinging bridge or Oark Cafe until Sunday?  I was hoping to show my daughter these sights, but we'll have to head home Saturday evening.

Casey

Randy,

I don't know if you saw the above post or not.....

Thanks!

Yeah, I just don't know?  James and I were working on route and timing again tonight after work and it really just depends on what time we get started on Saturday morning and how many stops we make.  Also there just aren't many options for camping around that area.  If we get to the Ozone area in time we could always run down to the swinging bridge or you could run by there before you start your trip back home.  We'll just have to see. 

--

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard! And may you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t get you.   - Anonymous

October 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng

STEVEN B at October 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We will be tent camping. do you guys get around early in the morning and head out or enjoy a cup of coffee before getting started for the day?

I like a good cup of coffee. I always brewed a fresh pot the last time we went !!
October 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng

After the last few times out with my CB , it's a must !! Trust me , you won't regret it !!!
October 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

JeepEng at October 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM

STEVEN B at October 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We will be tent camping. do you guys get around early in the morning and head out or enjoy a cup of coffee before getting started for the day?

I like a good cup of coffee. I always brewed a fresh pot the last time we went !!

Ok, cool. I was trying to figure out if it is a rush around to hit the trail mornings or not. I like a cup of coffee when camping. It makes a good camping trip even better. :)

October 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

JeepEng at October 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM

After the last few times out with my CB , it's a must !! Trust me , you won't regret it !!!

Ok. I started working on it. The jeep came with a CB but no antanna or coax so not sure if there is anything wrong with the CB yet.  The bad thing is I don't know anyone around here with a CB for me to test it. I might just have to start over with all new stuff.

October 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Two questions:

Are we married to the idea of running east to west?

If so, can anyone else start Thursday morning instead?

Just looking at options....

Thanks guys!!  And thanks Randy for all your hard work in planning the trips for us!

Casey

October 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

arveetek at October 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Two questions:

Are we married to the idea of running east to west?

If so, can anyone else start Thursday morning instead?

Just looking at options....

Thanks guys!!  And thanks Randy for all your hard work in planning the trips for us!

Casey

Not married to east to west, I just thought those that did it west to east last year might prefer that.  I'm good with either way.  I know we have folks coming from Tulsa and Siloam Springs so they might prefer west to east in order to give them a little more time to get there Friday morning.  I know James said he would not be able to start on Thursday.

--

October 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

We are fine with either way.  We probably wouldn't be able to start Thursday morning, though, because I'd have to take another day off work.  We could possibly start Thursday mid-day if we ran it west to east.

October 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

I'm fine running west to east, but I also don't want to be guilty of planning the entire trip around me and my schedule!

October 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jtwilliams

If you guys dont mind i think we would love to join you guys on this run. I am pretty much stock so this would be right up my road haha.

October 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
North , South , East or West !!!!! Doesn't matter to me. Just whatever works out. I'm just ready to go !!!
October 5, 2013 at 2:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Ok, it's time to start the official sign-up list!  So here is what I have so far:

1. Trailfrog (Randy)
  2. James C.
  3. arveetek (Casey)
  4. JeepEng (Rick)
  5. Hodge33 (James)
  6. STEVEN B (Steven)
  7. JtWilliams (Justin)

We would like to keep this to no more than eight rigs so if you want to go and you're not on this list reply to this post or contact me at backcountry4x4@gmail.com. The reason for the limit is for logistics purposes on the trail and also (mostly) because camping areas are limited and most won't hold more than 6-8 campers comfortably.  Club members in good standing will have first consideration.  If the trip is full and you would like to put your name on a list in case someone has to cancel please let me know that as well.

For those that have not been on this trip before click HERE for an article I wrote about last years trip. We will run a similar route this time but may change it up some for those that went last year.  We will be primitive camping Friday and Saturday nights, so no toilets or showers :) .  A CB really comes in handy to keep up with whats going on on the trail and just for friendly conversation while on the trail.  Also if at all possible I would recommend you bring 5 gallons of extra fuel.  In most cases we don't end up needing it but it is good to have just in case.

If conditions permit we will have a campfire.  The US Forest Service does not allow any wood to be brought in from outside the NF due to concern for the transport of wood destroying insects into the area.  Our club is a member of Tread Lightly and as such we follow Tread Lightly principles while off-road.  Please be familiar with the following guidlines:

Click HERE for more info related to backcountry travel on our Overlanding page.

We are still planning the final route but we will most likely start at St. Paul, AR and finish up at Woolum on the Buffalo River.  I will be posting meeting time and location for Friday morning soon.  There may be a few of us that will actually start at about noon on Thursday and do another section of trail then.  If you are interested in starting the trip on Thursday, let me know.  It is hard to predict what time we will make it to Woolum on Sunday, last year I think it was about mid-day.

--

October 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Thanks again Randy for planning this!  Looking forward to it!!!

Casey

--

95 Chevy Tahoe 2 door, 6.5L turbodiesel, 285/75R16 Kenda Klever M/T's on Toyota steelies, some other goodies.  Overlanding Fun

October 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

With regret I will not be able to attend this ride. I am however planning to attend the next overland trip so keep me posted.

--
October 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

arveetek

Forward at October 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

With regret I will not be able to attend this ride. I am however planning to attend the next overland trip so keep me posted.

Sad to hear that.  You will be missed Brad!

October 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
I'm so ready to hit the road !!! This can't get here fast enough.
October 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Yep, me too!  Hey does anyone cook with a dutch oven?  I would love to learn how.  Also anyone up for a group meal one evening?  We could do something like burritos or taco soup or something like that.  Everyone could bring an ingrediant?

October 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Sunday, Apr 20 All Day
Thursday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 27
Thursday May 1 - Monday May 5