Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > 4x4 Events > Need help with unidentifiable noise

JeepEng
So I've had my Dad and my Wife both drive my Jeep TJ while I got as close as I could without getting run over. But my rig has a loud popping noise coming from underneath anytime I have a weight transfer from front to back. I've shook it , jumped on it , everything I can think of. It's not a u-joint because it doesn't have to be under load to pop . Any suggestions or past experience please post up !! It's an automatic with a 4" lift.
--
October 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

I have had link bolts be just loose enough that it lets them move and make a popping noise. Might check the trans mount. When I got my LJ the rubber part of the mount was ripped in half.

October 21, 2013 at 8:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jeeps4fun

Agree with Steven.  Those link bolts can loosen or the rubber split.  What brand lift do you have?

--

October 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
Skyjacker lift , and by links I'm assuming you mean swaybar links.
October 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

I was referring to all the upper and lower suspension links. I have had them look tight but you can put a wrench on them and get a 1/2 turn on one.

October 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
I've checked all the lowers , will check the uppers tomorrow !!
October 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jeeps4fun

Don't just make sure they are tight.  Lay under the jeep (in gear) and rock it back and forth (trans usually allows a few inches of movement)  Watch the bolts in the brackets to see if they shit back/forth.  That could mean bushings are blown. 

Also, check the swaybar bushings at the frame as well the Trans mount if the links all check out.

--

October 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
Well I crawled under the rig today ,jacked it up and dropped it real fast. Nothing. Then shook it back and forth. Nothing. So I grabbed my wrenches and started tightening nuts and bolts while inspecting bushings and looking for anything shiny. The only thing loose was an upper control arm that both ends I could tighten about 1 full turn. That's it !!!! So I didn't think I had accomplished anything ...... It fixed the noise !!! I can't believe it. Such a minor thing and it sounded like an axle snapping in half !!
October 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

good deal

October 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Forward

I have had the same deal with mine. Mine usually starts poping after a trail ride. The jamb nuts get loose from the twisting of the links and just need to be snugged back up. 

--
October 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day