Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > 4x4 Events > Colorado 2014

STEVEN B

My family and Dave & Rita from Indiana (we met them at RTO) are planning a trip to Colorado next summer.  We don't have much details planned out yet, but from looking at the trails I am wanting to do, it will be around July.  Most of the trails will be easy to moderate and maybe a few difficult rated ones that are rated that because of the tight trails and sharp drop offs, etc. We were wanting to keep the group down around 6 rigs. If we have more than that we could break up into 2 groups. The reason for the small groups is it is going to be a long trip for everyone, and we want to see as much as possible. I am posting this up early so if anyone is interested they can start making plans and saving money. Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll keep this updated.

October 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Quick update. We are planning on going around July 19th-26th. We will know for sure next month. So far it is just 2 of us. We are planning on hitting trails around the Ouray, Telluride, Silverton area.  

December 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

Here is a link to a similar trip some are talking about.  http://www.christiancrawlers4x4.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8729082

December 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Thanks for the heads up, Randy.  I didn't know that thread was started.  We did talk about starting at Colorado Springs and hitting trails on the way over to Ouray.  After discussing it, we've kinda come to the conclusion that we'd get a lot more trail time in if we stayed in one location.  Especially if several people end up going.  It would take a lot of time setting up and taking down camp every day.  It's a long drive for everyone and we're looking at ways to try to maximize trail time.   From the book I got, "Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails", there is enough to keep you busy for a week just in Ouray, I think.  We're still discussing things, though.  We just needed to set a date for Dave to put in for his vacation time.

December 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepEng
I'm pretty jealous , are you all planning on primitive camping ?
December 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

We are planning on tent camping. We are still looking for a place with showers right now. I have just found a few and the best one so far looks like the KOA by Ouray. From what I have read it is a good idea to reserve your spot because they are busy in the middle of summer.

December 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

11JKU
Limited Member

sounds like a lot of fun, watched a few youtube videos from trails outside Ouray...beautiful!

--

December 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

I spent several years in the area.  The trip I'm planning will not be hard core but will be astoundingly beautiful.  

One of my favorite CO trips is to camp at the Cascades campground near Chalk creek and wheel up to Baldwin lake and up Mt Antero (of "Prospectors" fame) and over to China Gulch and (if you have the guts) Carnage Canyon.  it also has direct access to Iron Chest trail (if it's open), Tin Cup pass, and a few other trails.

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

December 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

I bet that would be a fun trip also. I have looked at a few of those trails.

I have a few questions Flexer. Do you have any recommendations on a camping spot with showers around Ouray? I found Silvertan Lakes campground a few days ago. I like it the best so far. It looks good and is close to a lot of the trails i was looking at.

What will the camping elevations be on the trip you are planning. My oldest boy got elevation sickness (bad and was not good without much water to clean up the mess) when we camped too high and none of us seem to sleep well that high.

Do you all have a date set yet?

December 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Greg S. - 99 TJ
Limited Member

I've spent a lot of summers on the western slope. The trails around silverton/ouray, durango/lake city are fun, but a lot of rented jeeps up there. two points, 1. if you are going up ouray to animas fork you want to go up that road,not down. it is the worse of the trails. 2. From lake city up, you want to take the lake to cimmaron pass and then up engineers else you will ride your brakes all the way down if you go from lake city up to engineer's along henson creek.

December 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Greg S. - 99 TJ
Limited Member

STEVEN B at December 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM

We are planning on tent camping. We are still looking for a place with showers right now. I have just found a few and the best one so far looks like the KOA by Ouray. From what I have read it is a good idea to reserve your spot because they are busy in the middle of summer.

You could tent camp in the national forest and then pay $5 to shower at a camp ground. Several of those places will do that.

December 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JeepDAD
Ouray is a beautiful area. We most frequently stay at Taylor reservoir which is outside of almont. They have cabins, campgrounds, and primitive camping. The reason we like it is because it's easy to access at least a half dozen passes including tincup from one central camp site. In the summer it's busy though. Lots of UTV's.
December 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Thanks for all the info guys. If you think of anything else that might be helpfull feel free to post up.

December 30, 2013 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

For showers near Ouray I went to the hot springs there.  I camped at the national forest on the ground.  After wheeling, drive into town, drop you nasty dusty body into the 105 degree water and melt for a while, take your shower stuff so you can clean it up on the way out.  

We'll probably camp around 10k feet for the trip I'm running.  For altitude, I'd suggest spend a night in Denver.  That's around 5500 feet for reference.  Tree-line is somewhere around 11k feet also for reference.

They also have a hot springs and showers near the Cascades national forest camp ground.  There seems to be a theme there...

--

'94 Jeep YJ 4.0L, 35" BFGs, Atlas 2 tcase, D44 front, 14b rear, detroit front, ARB rear, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, Onboard air, some rock rash. 

WrenchingSeasonBlog

December 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flexer

and for a date for my trip, the first full week in August.

--

WrenchingSeasonBlog

December 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BONE
Limited Member

I spent a week in Ouray this past July. It's awesome. We didn't take our Jeeps, but took ATV's. Lot's of fun. We were there in July and there was a lot of people around Ouray, but the trails weren't too crowded. There are tons of camp sites that offer showers. We actually rented a cabin in Ridgeway for the week. We ran all the major trails and passes while we were there. Awesome vacation. We had the same book mentioned above, but my suggestion would be to stop in at the visitors center in Ouray. They have a guy there that can give you the best trails to run and tell you what's open / closed.

--

BONE

2008 JK Wrangler

SkyJacker 4.5" full flex / SkyJacker Adj. Control Arms / Tatton driveshafts / 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials / 15x8 Eagles / Rock Solid Fab front bumper / Smittybilt XRC-8 winch / Hellas / Custom built rear bumper - tire carrier / Aussie Locker

www.project-jk.com

January 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Thanks for the input BONE. We will be going the week of July 19-26, and if nothing changes, we will be camping at Silverton Lakes Campground.

January 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day