Christian Crawlers 4x4 Club

Who's Your Spotter?

Club Forum

Forum Home > Trail Talk > Off Road GPS ?

STEVEN B

I have been wanting an off road oriented GPS.  I saw on our trip that Randy was using a tablet. Casey and Randy kinda explained how it worked but I don't fully understand. I have a few questions if you all don't mind.  Did it ever stop receiving when we were out there this weekend?  How does it find the signal and would you worry about it working in high elevation like 13k to14k feet?  Did it have all the trails that we went on already on the GPS app? Can you save way points and your track easily with this set up?  I wasn't going to get anything this soon but a guy at work is selling a Samsung Galaxy (Tab 2, I think)  for a good price and I figured if it will do what I am wanting I would go ahead and get it.  Any other help you all could give me I would apprecitate. Thanks! 

October 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trailfrog
Site Owner

I use Motion X GPS on an iPad.  Not sure if they have aps for other platforms or not.  GPS is a satelite signal so I don't think elevation would affect it.  I will ocasionally lose the GPS signal but so far never for more than a minute. Motion X does not come with maps so you would have to download them from another source.  I just copy sections from Google Maps and it has 90% of the trails I have done in the Ozark National Forest. I can save way points and you can record your track easily.

--

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard! And may you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t get you.   - Anonymous

October 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Thanks for the info. Looks like MotionX wont work with the Android. I did find Maverick and Maverick pro GPS that will work with Android. Does anyone know about it? Will it do about the same? Good/bad?

October 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

STEVEN B

Or backCountryNavigator.com might be a good one?

October 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the mud and mire, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Psalms 40:2

Banner Photo

Great turnout for the first club run of the year at Rush Springs Ranch.  See our FB page for more pictures HERE

Club Charity

Click HERE to make a donation

March Issue

Check it out at C4x4.com!

Great Buy!

click image to enlarge

Great idea!  I just ordered one.  Click HERE for more info

Check it Out!

Upcoming Events

Saturday, Apr 19 All Day
Saturday, Apr 19 at 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday, Apr 20 All Day